Finally an update! I’ve been working nights for the past month, so there has been very little time spent on the layout. At this point I’ve got the roadbed and part of the track down for the Pinesul area, which will have a short siding and 2 stub ended tracks as per prototype.
Looking at the north end of Pinesul:
And a little farther down the line, at the south end:
I have also built one of the large curves on the upper level:
That 2X4 in the middle is a compromise. In order to provide stability for this section of benchwork without having legs running to the floor (which would be in the way of the lower deck) I had to attach that 2X4 to the roof joist. Now if I hadn’t have built my stud wall too short, this would have been much easier! I can hide the 2X4 with scenery later on, and I can live with it sitting by the mainline. Next up is track laying in Pinesul!
This past week in addition to adding the Hulcross siding, I wired my Digitrax system to 4 of the PSX circuit breakers as well as one of the RRampmeters. I’m using a DB150 for a command station which feeds 3 power districts, with another DB150 set up as a booster for the remaining 4 power districts. I still have to purchase 3 more PSX breakers, but they can be aquired at a later date. Power to the system is fed from a dedicated breaker from my home panel, through a light switch which allows me to turn the layout power on and off from one switch. Thanks to my buddy Jack for the idea!
System installed and powered up:
Rramp meter for the helix installed and powered up:
I drove down to Calgary this weekend for Canada’s largest model railway show Supertrain. While at the show, I picked up 30 sticks of Atlas code 83 track, since the Rapido track is 3 to 4 weeks from landing in my basement. Today I finished laying track in the first siding on the upper deck.
Extra 710 south waits at the south end of Hullcross siding
Mid point of siding:
And the north end of the siding, with the helpers cut into the train:
So with the siding complete I can fit a 20 car train into it with 3 road units, 2 helpers, and a caboose. The train pictured is 22 cars long, so I figure I’ll set the typical length of mainline freights at 20 cars, which works out pretty good since the max train length on the Dawson Creek branch is 10 cars. Trains on the upper deck feed and transport cars from the Dawson branch, so a 20 car train should work out ok. Next up is to start stringing bus wire and build some more bench work!
I’ve finished building a panel that will house 6 RRampmeter’s for power district monitoring as well as the UR92. Panel is built out of 1/2″ plywood and 1/8″ hardboard.
Another milestone was reached today, the helix frame is complete! I still need to lay one more loop of track but finally the monster is constructed!
Now the track curving off to the right of the image, that will be the mainline to Prince George. Why so high you ask? Well, I wanted to avoid a duck under, since the biggest problem with a duck under is operators forget to duck! The area on the lower level under the “bridge” will have the Chetwynd yard lead as well as some industry tracks. Here you can see the future site of the yard lead and spur to the lumber mill:
The 1X4 that is sitting on the lower deck was not planned, but I need it to take out some flex in the plywood bridge. I’ll end up hiding it behind a building/oil tank/ picture of Kate Upton’s boobs or something like that.
The mainline leaving the top of the helix is 6 feet from the floor level, which looks pretty cool!
The track will drop to 60″ or so on the upper deck before it gets to Pinesul. I’ve got a siding to build on the top deck to give trains a place to meet too, and I think I’ll call it Hulcross. The real Hulcross siding was south of Pinesul, but I need it on the other side to prevent a bottle neck of trains waiting to use the helix.
Here’s how you figure out the width of the benchwork required for a 36″ curve. A couple curve templates and some Ikea shelves and you have the track plan laid out on the floor!
Got a package today from Tony’s Train Exchange. I ordered a DCC Specialties PSX4, Tortoise Buddy Seniors, and a couple RR Ramp meters.
The PSX4 contains 4 circuit breakers on one board. I’ll need a total of 7 power districts on the layout, so in the future I’ll order one of their PSX2’s as well as a PSXAR (auto reverser)
The tortoise buddies are for controlling the switch machines, and the RR Ramp meters measure Volts and Amps on each power district. I plan on mounting the meters on the helix frame to provide short detection
And my good flunk- er I mean friend Dave came over the other night and we threw up some hardboard:
This is a full 4X8 foot sheet of 1/8″ hardboard in the corner, really doesn’t look that big!
And we started on the lower level bench work. You are looking at the site of the yard lead for Chetwynd
And the helix is still growing. A few more loops and it will be finished!